Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Beef's no holy cow

Some farmers give aging cows to Hindu temples. At the Vedanaiki Solisvaran Temple, near the cow market, prayer leader Dharmasivan says temple leaders are too busy with day jobs to care for the donated cows. So the temple sells them in the market. Dharmasivan has seen a cow being slaughtered there. "We know it's wrong," he says. "We can't stop it."
That was WSJ journalist Daniel Pearl in an article he wrote, How Many Ways Can You Skin a Cow? In Hindu India, There Are Plenty, perhaps a few months before he was abducted and killed in Pakistan.

The piece sums up the many Indias in the country we call home. I love the irony of it all. Incidentally, the cow's probably one of my favourite animals. And it seems I'm certainly not the only blogger to think so.

3 comments:

100hands said...

A trailer of the film is here, Kunda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaFnl8KcCyY
Bro and me applying for a grant at MIT so we needed to make this. What a man, our subject, truly inspiring. See for yourself. Let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

my response comin up in a few minutes!!!

100hands said...

I had 9 hrs of footage that I edited down to 8 minutes in one night. So you can imagine. But it was meant to be for a grant so that was good enough to show the subject and his greatness. You know? The final film will have all these issues figured out and resolved and will be over 2 hours long. :) And yes, did a bit of colour correcting in those 15-20 hours of work that I put in. Whoa! Thanks for your comments, Kunda.